Ontario Expands Coverage for CarePublished on March 23, 2020
Enhanced Health Care Coverage Critical to Support Efforts to Contain COVID-19
As the COVID-19 outbreak continues to evolve globally and locally, Ontario is taking decisive and swift action to ensure the province continues to protect the health and well-being of Ontarians.
To ensure that anyone in need of care can receive it, Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. Additionally, the province will cover the cost of COVID-19 services for uninsured people who do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage. Together, these measures will ensure that no one will be discouraged from seeking screening or treatment for COVID-19 for financial reasons.
"The health and well-being of Ontarians continues to be our government's number one priority," said Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health. "That's why we're working to guarantee that anyone who needs screening or care for COVID-19 will get it. In doing so, we can further help ensure we contain the spread of this virus."
These measures are in addition to Ontario's recent announcement that Ontarians with expiring and expired health cards will continue to have access to insured health services.
Ontario is continuing to work with all partners across the system, from public health to hospitals and community care, to do everything we can to contain COVID-19 and ensure that the system is prepared to respond to any scenario.
Visit Ontario's website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19.
- Ontarians should be practising social distancing to reduce their exposure to other people. Avoid close contact (within 2 metres) with people outside of your immediate families.
- If you are returning from travel outside of Canada or if you believe you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 symptoms, you should begin to self-isolate for a period of 14 days, including social distancing and tracking your symptoms and how you feel.
- Enhanced Measures to Protect Ontarians from COVID-19
- Ontario Enacts Declaration of Emergency to Protect the Public
- Visit Ontario's website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19.
- Learn about travel advisories related to the 2019 novel coronavirus.
- If you are a health care professional, learn how to protect yourself and your patients by reading our guidance documents.