Ontario Supporting Scarborough Health Network During Covid-19Published on September 28, 2021
MPP Cho at the Birchmount Hospital announcing close to $27M funding for the Scarborough Health Network.
Ontario supporting Scarborough Health Network during COVID-19
Close to $27 million investment will help SHN provide high quality care to patients
NEWS September 28, 2021
Scarborough, Ontario — The Scarborough Health Network is receiving more than $26.83 million fro the Ontario Government to provide high quality care to patients during this COVID-19 pandemic.
“The Scarborough Health Network has been at the centre of the COVID-19 pandemic from day one providing quality care for our sick and vulnerable, and responding to outbreaks in Scarborough,” said the Honourable Raymond Cho, MPP for Scarborough North and Minister for Seniors and Accessibility. “This funding is part of our government's on-going commitment to help hospital recover from financial pressures created and worsened by the pandemic, while making sure Scarborough hospitals can continue providing the high-quality care the people of Scarborough need and deserve.”
This funding is a part of the over $1.2 billion investment previously announced to help hospitals recover from financial pressures created and worsened by the COVID-19 pandemic, while ensuring they can continue providing the high-quality care Ontarians need and deserve. This funding will also help to ensure that Ontario’s hospitals are able to respond to any scenario as the COVID-19 pandemic evolves.
Many Ontario hospitals are struggling with annual funding deficits which have been exacerbated by the pandemic. To ensure Ontario's hospitals remain on stable financial footing at a critical time, the government is allocating this funding to help cover historic working funds deficits for qualifying public hospitals
“Ontario’s hospitals have been on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic and our government is using every tool at our disposal to support them,” said Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health. “This funding will ensure Ontario's hospitals can continue to provide high-quality care to all Ontarians and that our hospital system is ready to respond to any scenario this fall.”
Since the onset of the pandemic, Ontario has been working with its hospital partners to create unprecedented capacity and prepare to respond to any scenario. The government remains committed to supporting hospitals so that they can continue to care for Ontarians today and in the future.
“Scarborough Health Network (SHN) welcomes this crucial funding through the Ministry of Health’s Working Funds Initiative. For 18 months, SHN and our local partner organizations nave been at the forefront of the COVID-19 pandemic, in one of Canada's hardest-hit communities. We have provided compassionate, inclusive, and courageous care to every patient who has come through our doors. This funding will strengthen SHN’s fiscal stability, and enable us to continue to improve lives through exceptional care by making investments that meet our community’s needs.”
Elizabeth Buller, President and CEO, Scarborough Health Network
“The health and safety of Scarborough-Agincourt and Scarborough residents is our first priority. Our government will leave no stone unturned to provide first-class health care to Ontarians. In addition to expanding and renovating the emergency department of the Birchmount Hospital, major funding of over $26 million to SHN has been announced. I am proud to have participated in this major funding announcement to help SHN recover from the financial demands COVID-19 imposed and to stabilize SHN finances. This is in addition to our July funding announcement of over $12 million.”
Aris Babikian, MPP for Scarborough-Agincourt
“This investment of $26.8M will help Scarborough Hospitals strengthen their financial stability and provide the high-quality patient care that Scarborough residents need and deserve.”
Vijay Thanigasalam, MPP for Scarborough-Rouge Park
“I am so pleased to see our government’s continual support and dedication to the Scarborough Health Network and the people of Scarborough. This funding will assist our local hospitals in providing the highest quality care to those that need it.”
Christina Mitas, MPP for Scarborough Centre
MPP Cho with his Scarborough Caucus colleagues at the announcement with President & CEO Elizabeth Buller and top leaderships of the Scarborough Health Network.
- A working funds deficit occurs when an organization’s current liabilities exceed their current assets. All hospitals that had a working funds deficit in 2019-20 qualified for this funding.
- As part of a wider, comprehensive surgical recovery plan to provide patients with the care they need, the Ontario government is investing up to $324 million in new funding to enable Ontario’s hospitals and community health sector to perform more surgeries, MRI and CT scans and procedures, including on evenings and weekends.
- Under the 2021 Budget, Ontario is investing an additional $1.8 billion in the hospital sector in 2021-2022, bringing the total additional investment in hospitals since the start of the pandemic to over $5.1 billion. This includes creating more than 3,100 additional hospital beds to increase capacity and reduce occupancy pressures caused by COVID-19.
- Ontario Ramping Up Efforts to Reduce Surgical Wait Times
- Ontario Supporting Hospitals with Additional Funding During COVID-19
- 2021 Budget - Ontario’s Action Plan: Protecting People’s Health and Our Economy
- Improving Health Care in Ontario
- Hallway Health Care: A System Under Strain
- Visit Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccine web page to view the latest provincial data and information on COVID-19 vaccines.
- Visit Ontario’s COVID-19 information website to learn more about how the province continues to protect the people of Ontario from the virus.
- 30 -
Office of MPP Raymond Cho